Friday, January 18, 2008

Life, unfinished

Taking a break from the snark for a moment to wonder if anyone else has persistent, recurring dreams. I've always been fascinated with dreams -- why do we have them, and what do they mean? I'm terrific at interpreting other people's dreams, but suck at interpreting my own except for one annoying, repetitive dream I have which I had again just last night.

It's the dream where I have gone back to school. Sometimes it's high school, usually it's college; once I actually dreamed I went all the way back to elementary school. (Boy, did I look weird sitting at the coloring table with all those little kids.) The other infuriating thread running through these dreams is that I have either not attended class all semester and am about to have a test, or I can't find my classroom, or I am about to receive my mid-term grades and I am sure I've flunked out.

Last night's version was: me moving into a dorm at college. Not finding my room, or my room key. Wondering who would be rooming with me, how we'd fit everything into the tiny dorm room, and how I was going to explain being so fucking old to all the other girls. During the dream I was setting up stuff in my room while frantically looking for my class assignments and could NOT find them. Tearing up piles of papers and clothes looking for it, sure that I've missed classes already, and not knowing who my professors were or indeed even what my purpose was for being there.

It's not that I don't get the overall psychological theme of this. I just wonder why I keep having it! I want it to stop. This is not a dream I ever want to have again because I wake up feeling completely stressed out and like I've really fucked things up for myself. Even knowing that it's only a dream doesn't always help.

I know there must be others out in the universe who have recurring dreams. What are they? How do you deal with them? How often do you have them, and what do you think they mean?

5 comments:

Beth said...

Well hullo, Ms.T.
Just wanted to chime in and say that I also have recurring dreams, specifically the one you mentioned about being in college, never having been to a certain class all semester and then suddenly being faced with the final exam and feeling completely screwed.

I'm sure there's some greater meaning to it all, but I'll be dipped if I know what it is!

Allie said...

i love how we have versions of the same dream. mine usually is a version where i have to take an exam and make a 100 on it to be able to graduate. it's usually college and not high school, and it's usually a math exam - given by the hardest and scariest professor i had ( a social work professor )

or or or dreams where my teeth fall out. NOT FUN

i've heard the first one ( the failing one ) is something about there is something you are not paying attention to about yourself - failing yourself, and letting others down in the process ( GREAT, i'm a disappointment to others in my frikin' dreams ) and the teeth one is about being powerless ... good times.

let's just call it a cigar, get a sweaty dirty martini and just day dream about cabana boys shall we?

christelpistol said...

i love a daydream.


and i also linked you on my blog finally!

Terri said...

Woot! Linked!!! Back at ya.

Terri said...

Oh and y'all? Be glad I didn't post my OTHER recurring dream, which is where I have to go to the bathroom but either can't find one, or I have to do it in the middle of a department store, or there's a toilet in the middle of somebody's living room.